Thursday, September 3, 2009

Genesis. Whoa.

All right. Genesis. Let's do this.

So, I'm going to focus on the stories that I found the most interesting/weird/awesome. Keep in mind, I'm not quite finished with Genesis yet, so this is just as far as I've gotten.
 


But first, some of my favorite quotes off the top of my head:
 


"God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good." (Gen. 1.31)
I should hope so.
"And the man and his wife were both naked, and were not ashamed." (Gen. 2.25)
Awesome.

Anywho, the first story that I find incredibly interesting is of course, the story of Cain and Abel (Gen. 4)

Why? Because it is so simple, and barebones in its explanation. Why does God choose Abel over Cain.  While it is alluded to that Abel gives the firstlings, and Cain only the fruit, that seems like not that big of a deal. I mean, the least God could have done is given Cain a smaller pat on the head. But where this story interests me the most is the murder. Not to be morbid, but this is the first instance of murder in the good book, so I feel that it is significant. Why? perhaps because it is an escalation of the sin of mankind, which I find very compelling. And then there's that awesome line, where Cain leaves, and settles "east of Eden" (Gen. 4-16), which just so happens to be one of my favorite books by Mr. John Steinbeck.

Second story,

Sodom and Gomorrah. An incredibly relevant text, considering the political minefield we enter every time someone decides to speak about homosexuality. But jumping around, I found the text to be rather anti-feminine (this is the bible of course), when Lot cries, "Look, I have two daughters, sodomize them instead of my guests, please. They're even virgins!" Wow, not a whole lot of sentiment there.

I also liked the part where Lot's wife is turned into a pillar of salt. God's not a big fan of the whole mercy thing.

I have read a bit farther, and will blab more later, but for now this is what was currently in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment