Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Good stuff.

Once again, I've decided to grace you all with one of my sporadic blog posts (that isn't notes). Today in class we were talking about the Nina Simone song "Sinner Man", and I made a connection in my head with another song by Talib Kweli ("Get By"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WEqr1zDq5s

Did you hear it? Now, this is a hip-hop song, which I hope that no one has a bias against, because, like any other medium, there is good stuff, and there's Britney Spears. You can stop here if you like, and go on a hip-hop/enlightened rap journey (try Jurassic 5, The Roots, Blue Scholars, Brother Ali.)

But that's enough about hip-hop. The reason for this little blog post is to provide a preview for my term paper, in which I will be talking about what I've learned from the bible, and the difference that makes.

So, I'm going to talk a little about Time Bandits. Yup, that's right. You probably have never heard of this film (shame on you), but it was directed by Terry Gilliam (some films you may have seen by him: Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Heath Ledger's last film, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus)

The film follows the adventures of a little boy who is captured by time traveling dwarves that go around robbing famous people from throughout history (Napoleon, Robin Hood, Agamemnon, etc.). They are on the run from the Supreme Being (wink wink, nudge nudge), from whom they've stolen a map that allows them to find holes in time, facilitating their burglary. Evil (I.E. Satan) is trying to get his hands on the map, so he can overthrow the Supreme Being. The film culminates in a "final battle" that has, guess who, good beating evil. Sound familiar?

And this is what I've been growing to understand (still got a long way to go) throughout my learning journey through the bible, and the humanities in general. Literature--movies--these things are intertextual references to one another, and our lives, providing us with a personal connection, for each of us a different one (for me, Time Bandits).

The trick is recognizing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment